Tuesday, October 26, 2010

From Restlessness To Rest

"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the Nations, I will be exalted in the Earth". ~Psalms 46:10~

I was raised in a crazy, dysfunctional, Christian, home. Outside looking in, I'm certain people viewed us as the "perfect little Christian family". Nope, we didn't even come close! (I will tell my story another time) My grandfather was a preacher so I was raised in church, learning the bible.

I grew up hearing the KJV of this verse, "Be still, and know that I am God". I always thought that meant to "be still" as my mom use to say to me in church (I still have the imprints on my knees from her squeezing them firmly and telling me to, "Please Be Still"!) So I grew up thinking that the verse meant to stop being restless and start listening to God. I thought that until I learned what the Hebrew word used for "be still" it has nothing to do with the rapt attention to God. It literally means relaxing, so you could read the verse as "Relax, and know that I am God". The Hebrew word paints a vivid picture. It means to "LET GO" Literally, to put your hands down at your sides. When problems arrive at our doorstep, we always want to keep our hands on the problem, to manipulate and control it until it yields the out come we want. We are like a little child who wants to get involved in a project with their parent but inevitably messes it up. God says that when life takes us to the ragged edge and we find ourselves out of righteous options, we have to "let go". To let go and let God be God in the midst of our dilemma. Tough assignment? Only if you don't know about God's loving interest in working through your life to accomplish His glory and your good. He is faithful to the end, bigger than your most aggressive enemy. You can give it all to Him and relax in His care and wise solutions.

When we get a grip on "I am God", we find rest for our souls.
Question...What is it about God that you can fully trust in regardless of life's blows? Make a list. Live in the list-and relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment